Showing posts from April, 2011

Resetting local Outlook password cache

Today I wasted altogether too much time trying to figure out why my domain account kept locking me out. Turns out Outlook was the culprit. Despite the fact that I had entered my new domain credentials (I recently changed by password), it was still hanging on to the old password somewhere. Every time I started Outlook, it would automatically use the old one, retry several times, and voila, my account would lock out. After a few days of this, I got annoyed enough to put aside the real work to take care of it. After an hour or so of perusing help & googling for a solution, I discovered this forum posting: Following the advice there (On the user's machine, click start button->Run, type: control userpasswords2), I found the windows credential manager. This is probably old news to most IT guys, but I had not seen it in Windows 7. After clicking the advanced tab & the "Manage Passwords" button, I found my culprit. The "Manage